We support organisations in designing, developing and implementing a holistic Workforce Strategy for their people.
Our approach defines key focus areas to ensure alignment of the workforce capabilities, culture and environment with the business strategy.
Planning strategically enables organisations to identify and continually respond to the workforce functional, talent and cultural risks which often hinder successful execution of business priorities.
- Workforce Profile and Planning – the supply of and demand for the required roles and capabilities, both current and future – ensuring the right number of employees with the right skills in the right place at the right time
- Systems and Processes – the infrastructure, including industrial agreements/policies/workplace technologies, which enable the people to perform and deliver desired outcomes
- Building Capabilities and Knowledge – further development of the current and emerging capabilities required together with the collective knowledge of the organisation’s people
- Leadership and Culture – the leadership mindset, behaviours and capabilities needed for business success which shape the organisation’s ‘ways of working’ and determine its culture
Successful implementation of a workforce strategy requires the ownership and accountability by the organisation’s broader leadership, not just the Human Resources/People & Culture Department. Furthermore, elements of the Workforce Strategy should be reflected in each Department’s operational plan.
Creating and bringing to life an enabling Workforce Strategy
Once the strategy is endorsed, we can support organisations in developing and deploying an implementation plan which is likely to include at least some of the following People Strategies:
- Shape: workforce planning, talent portfolio analysis, organisational design, job design
- Attract: employer brand, recruitment, on-boarding
- Engage: recognition and reward, ways of working, change management, internal communication, flexible working arrangements, corporate social responsibility
- Develop: capability frameworks and gap analysis, learning strategy, performance feedback and development, coaching and mentoring, career progression pathways
- Transition: voluntary/involuntary separation, outplacement, mature age transition
A holistic workforce strategy closely aligned with the Business Strategy will also strengthen the business case for resources and budget required to implement the Workforce Strategy’s activities.